Luyang dilaw (Turmeric) tea
Gilbert and I had lunch yesterday with our friends, Dong and Linda Rosal. They are into homeopathy and we had a very interesting conversation about it. They shared with us the health benefits of “luyang dilaw” or Turmeric. Linda said that it is an anti-inflammatory medicinal plant. It cleanses the body, it detoxifies the liver, and it has many other health benefits. They take it twice a day.
Before going home, we decided to buy some “luyang dilaw” at the grocery and try it out.
Now here’s my back story. Two days ago, as I was chewing my food, I accidentally bit my cheek. It’s so painful, and because it is swollen, it caused more accidental biting. Last night, before going to bed, I inspected my gum cheek using a magnifying mirror. I saw that it was red and swollen, and I could even feel the bite mark. Ouch! I knew that it would take a couple more days before it completely heals.
Before going to bed, we took our “luyang dilaw” tea. It tasted really good! It doesn’t taste like the regular ginger.
Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I couldn’t feel any pain in my cheek anymore. I could still feel a little bump, but there was no pain at all! I took another cup of “luyang dilaw” tea this morning, and I swear, by dinner time, the swelling is completely gone! I could not believe it! Could this be coincidence? I really don’t know. But one thing’s for sure, “luyang dilaw” tea is going to be part of our daily diet.
This morning, I googled the health benefits of “luyang dilaw”, and I found out that this is used a lot in India in Ayurvedic medicine. It contains curcumin, which has many health benefits, such as:
– it promotes healing;
– it alleviates infection involving pimples and acne;
– it has anti-oxidant, anti-tumor, and anti-inflammatory properties;
– it prevents the progression of Alzheimer’s disease;
– it lowers serum cholesterol levels; it combats hardening of the arteries; and it inhibits the formation of blood clots;
– it is used as an anti-cancer treatment; it reduces the risk of childhood leukemia; it prevents prostrate cancer, and cancers of the mouth, stomach, liver, colon, and gastrointestinal tract;
– it is a natural painkiller;
– it is a natural antiseptic;
– it treats arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties;
– it is also used in Chinese medicine to treat depression
This is how to prepare the “luyang dilaw” tea: Peel a piece of “luyang dilaw”, and cut it into small pieces, or pound it. Boil it with 1 glass of water. Drink 2 cups daily.
“Luyang dilaw” or Turmeric is now available in capsule or powder form. But, of course, nothing beats the fresh, natural and inexpensive form.