Luyang dilaw (Turmeric) tea
Gilbert and I had lunch yesterday with our friends, Dong and Linda Rosal, owners of 357 Boracay Resort and Mary Lindbert International. Aside from being very successful in business, they are also into homeopathy. They shared with us the health benefits of “luyang dilaw” or Turmeric. Linda said that it is an anti-inflammatory medicinal plant. It cleanses the body, it detoxifies the liver, and it has many other health benefits. They take it twice a day.
Before going home, we decided to buy some “luyang dilaw” at the grocery and try it out.
Now here’s my back story. Two days ago, as I was chewing my food, I accidentally bit my cheek. It’s so painful, and because it is swollen, it caused more accidental biting. Last night, before going to bed, I inspected my gum cheek using a magnifying mirror. I saw that it was red and swollen, and I could even feel the bite mark. Ouch! I knew that it would take a couple more days before it completely heals.
Before going to bed, we took our ”luyang dilaw” tea. It tasted really good! It doesn’t taste like the regular ginger.
Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I couldn’t feel any pain in my cheek anymore. I could still feel a little bump, but there was no pain at all! I took another cup of “luyang dilaw” tea this morning, and I swear, by dinner time, the swelling is completely gone! I could not believe it! Could this be coincidence? I really don’t know. But one thing’s for sure, “luyang dilaw” tea is going to be part of our daily diet.
This morning, I googled the health benefits of “luyang dilaw”, and I found out that this is used a lot in India in Ayurvedic medicine. It contains curcumin, which has many health benefits, such as:
- it promotes healing;
- it alleviates infection involving pimples and acne;
- it has anti-oxidant, anti-tumor, and anti-inflammatory properties;
- it prevents the progression of Alzheimer’s disease;
- it lowers serum cholesterol levels; it combats hardening of the arteries; and it inhibits the formation of blood clots;
- it is used as an anti-cancer treatment; it reduces the risk of childhood leukemia; it prevents prostrate cancer, and cancers of the mouth, stomach, liver, colon, and gastrointestinal tract;
- it is a natural painkiller;
- it is a natural antiseptic;
- it treats arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties;
- it is also used in Chinese medicine to treat depression
This is how to prepare the “luyang dilaw” tea: Peel a piece of “luyang dilaw”, and cut it into small pieces, or pound it. Boil it with 1 glass of water. Drink 2 cups daily.
“Luyang dilaw” or Turmeric is now available in capsule or powder form. But, of course, nothing beats the fresh, natural and inexpensive form.